Overview of County’s FY 2008 Budget
As we noted yesterday, the County Manager presented his proposed FY 2008 budget on Monday afternoon. (the entire budget document is available in Adobe format at the county finance department’s website). Following are just a few of the items identified in the Manager’s budget overview:
- 5.0% increase over FY 2007 revised budget; 5.9% if the County Board adopts all proposed “policy priorities” and “strategic options”
- 4.5% increase in County operations
- 5.9% increase in “schools transfer”
Sources of FY 2008 General Fund Revenues:
- 51% from real estate revenues
- 11% from personal property tax
- 7% from the Commonwealth
- 6% from BPOL tax
- 4% from sales tax
- 4% from service charges
- 4% from miscellaneous local taxes
- all other sources are 3% or less
In 2000, the commercial tax base (apartments and commercial) represented 51% of the total real estate tax base with residential property (single-family and condominiums) representing 49%. By 2006, the split became 60% residential and 40% commercial. In 2007, the split narrows to 58% and 42%, respectively.
Make your views known to the County Board. Attend the budget and tax rate hearings on March 27 and March 29, respectively. Both hearings will begin at 7:00 pm in the County Board room, 3rd floor, Courthouse Plaza, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard.